Emails have been circulating among Milton about the new high school set to open at the intersection of Cogburn and Bethany Bend in 2012. This is what we know to date:
· The new high school – currently called Bethany Road High School – is scheduled to open for August 2012.
· Bethany Road High School is NOT the final name – just a “working project title”
· The Bethany Road High School will be the same prototype as the new John’s Creek High School
· It will sit on approximately 65 acres at the corner of Bethany Bend and Cogburn Road across from Kings Ridge Christian Academy. ONLY 45 acres of the 65 are usable. The other 20 acres cannot be used due to topography issues such as streams, flood planes, etc… Interestingly, Milton only currently sits on 70 acres. The new Johns Creek HS sits on 65 acres. There will be a sidewalk winding around the entire area along with bridges and foot paths in the wet zones.
· There will be two entrances to the new high school – one from Cogburn Road and one from Bethany Bend. We asked for an entrance from Highway 9 and were told that it is not an option.
· The new high school will be 330,000 square feet – This square footage is very similar to Milton HS, however, the new high school will be much more compact due to acreage usage.
· Cost - $50 million
· Capacity – 2,000 students
· There will be 99 instructional units
· There will be 719 parking spots
· The property will contain a football stadium, baseball field, softball field, tennis courts and a large practice field
· Façade – It was agreed that the exterior of the building should have a similar feel to that of Kings Ridge. It will be a combination of brick, stone and large wooden beams. It WILL NOT have columns like Milton HS. It was agreed that the exterior of Milton HS should not be duplicated to the new high school, BUT rather give the new high school its own identity with its own “WOW” factor.
· The architect that developed Kings Ridge is the same architect to work on the new high school
· Rezoning will take place in the spring of 2011.
· Bob Lynch, Fulton County Area Superintendent, mentioned that the rezoning would definitely shake things up. We will most likely see some kids from Roswell HS move to Milton HS; some from Milton HS to Alpharetta HS; and some from Alpharetta HS to Bethany Road HS .
Community Meeting to discuss Bethany Road High School is scheduled for Monday, October 26, 2009, at 7:00 p.m. at Hopewell Middle School – Please attend if at all possible.