SUPPORT LIBERTY'S LAW!

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Fire Destroyes Ex-Braves Player's Home.

Fire Destroyes Ex-Braves Player's Home: MyFoxATLANTA.com



By: DARRYL CARVER/myfoxatlanta

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. - A massive fire in north Fulton County destroyed the home of a former major league star. Former Braves closer, Mark Wohlers and his family escaped the smoke and flames that destroyed their home overnight.

Wohlers said the most important thing he was able to save from the fire, were his wife and children. The former Braves player said he was thankful that his family escaped the fire safely.

"At a quarter to 1:00 in the morning, my wife hit me and said, 'What's that noise? What is that?' I jumped up out of bed and we saw flames coming from the other end of the house," said Wohlers.

The fast-moving fire destroyed the Fulton County home on Old Cedar Lane early Tuesday morning.

Wohlers said his wife rushed to get their three children out of the home while he tried in vain to stop the fire.

"She ran upstairs and I ran towards the fire, because it was outside and I was thinking there was some way I'd be able to control it because at the time the flames weren't so high and by the time I turned around she had all of our kids out of the house. I just ran back to our closet, I grabbed a shirt," recalled Wohlers.

Rescue crews were able to salvage some of the baseball star's trophies and memorabilia, but Wohlers said that wasn't what was important. Wohlers said what mattered to him was that he and his family survived the blaze.

"Alpharetta and Milton did as much as they could to salvage our house. My wife made sure our kids got out of there as quickly as possible. Like I said, it was all her. To get those kids out of there, I don't know if it’s the motherly instinct or what it was, but she jut moved so quickly before I could even think and its just something we'll always be grateful for," said Wohlers.

Wohlers said he kept a safe in his home with some of his more prized belongings, including his World Series ring. Wohlers said he was able to recover the safe, but not very much else.

No comments: