Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Milton Marksmen Coming Soon.

NOTE: In light of the following news story as well as continuing breakins in the city, the Milton Marksmen Gun Association will be making it's debut in the coming months. Please keep an eye on as this program develops.

Woman kills attacker in Gwinnett home.

By Mike Morris and John Spink
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Gwinnett County woman shot and killed a home invasion suspect Wednesday morning after the knife-wielding intruder attacked her in the shower, police said.

Enlarge photo John Spink, Gwinnett County police investigated at a house near Duluth, where a homeowner shot and killed a burglar.

The incident happened about 6:30 a.m. at a home in the 2800 block of East Mount Tabor Circle.

Gwinnett police Cpl. Edwin Ritter told the AJC that the woman, who is in her early 50s, was getting out of the shower when the intruder, who she did not know, turned out the lights and attacked her.

She fell back into the shower, injuring her back, and attempted to fight the man off with the shower rod, Ritter said.

"She was telling him that she has money and please don’t hurt her," Ritter said.

"He forced her into her bedroom," Ritter said. "Once inside the bedroom, she retrieved a .22-caliber pistol and shot him several times." Ritter characterized the attack as an attempted sexual assault.

The suspect, who was in his 20s, ran outside the house and collapsed. He was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center, where he died.

The victim ran to a neighbor's house after the attack, and was later taken to Duluth Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries. She was released from the hospital and returned to her home just before noon Wednesday.

Neighbor Rebecca Wisecup told the AJC that she was awakened about 6:30 a.m. to the sounds of someone screaming and crying.

"I came out of the bedroom and out into the hallway and it was just horrible screaming, and I found our neighbor on our kitchen floor," Wisecup said.
"She was naked, just out of the shower. She was screaming that somebody tried to kill her, and ‘Oh my God, oh, my God, he tried to kill me.'"

“She said she shot him and he got away, or she didn’t know where he was, so we called the police,"
Wisecup said, tearing up as she recounted the morning's events.
"I tried to get her up out of the floor and got a robe on her and got her to sit down, and within a few minutes the police showed up and took care of her."

Wisecup said that the victim told her that
"she was in the shower, and the bathroom light went off, and she opened the shower curtain and there was a man that held a knife up to her throat."

Wisecup said her neighbor is a
"a nice lady, just a sweet lady.Thank God she's OK and she had a weapon to protect herself with."

Ritter said the victim would not be charged in the incident.

"She responded to the deadly threat with deadly force," he said.

Ritter said police were checking to see if the assailant might be involved in other crimes in the area. He said the man's name was being withheld until relatives are notified.

Marsha Day, who lives down the street, said her house has been broken into twice since she moved into the neighborhood 11 years ago.

“Fortunately, I wasn’t home either time, but I’ve lost a lot of stuff because of break-ins,” Day said.

“That’s awesome that she had something to protect herself with,” neighbor Michelle Church said.

“I don’t know how she was good enough to get her gun like that,” Church said.
“She’s very lucky and fortunate that she was able to defend herself. Good for her.”

No comments: