Monday, November 01, 2010

Police tallying toll from Halloween weekend shootings

By Mike Morris
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Police around metro Atlanta Monday were tallying the toll of dead and injured following a Halloween weekend marred by several shootings and other violent incidents.

The latest shooting happened around 8 p.m. Sunday when a motorist whose car had just been egged opened fire on a teenager in northwest Atlanta, police said.
Tivarus Irving, 17, of Union City died en route to Grady Memorial Hospital following the shooting, which happened near the intersection of Joseph E. Lowery and Joseph E. Boone boulevards. Investigators say 10 shots were fired at the teen.

Police were still investigating when a man matching the suspect’s description drove by the shooting scene in a Mercedes that matched the description of the suspect’s vehicle.
That man, whose name has not been released, was taken into custody and was being questioned by homicide detectives overnight.

About 75 minutes before that shooting, a man was shot multiple times and killed in the 400 block of Federal Terrace, near the Federal Penitentiary off Boulevard in southeast Atlanta. Police arrested Fernando Hernandez, 32, and charged him with murder.
The victim's name was being withheld Monday until police could notify relatives. Investigators have not said what led to the shooting.

Atlanta’s deadly Halloween began before 5 a.m., when Madison McLester, 25, was shot and killed in her Oak Street home, allegedly by her husband of just three weeks. Police arrested Minchillo McLester, 29, and charged him with murder.

Late Saturday night, Rachel Jones, 41, was shot in the face during a drive-by shooting that interrupted a Halloween party at a nightclub on Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway. Jones, who was one of four people wounded in the shooting, later died at Grady.

The weekend violence wasn’t confined to to the city limits of Atlanta, though.
A College Park police officer shot and wounded a man who allegedly tried to hit the officer with his car early Saturday outside an Old National Highway restaurant.
Charges are pending against Corbin Mikael Livingston, 23, who police said is expected to survive his wounds.

And a Milton man was arrested early Sunday after threatening to kill his wife and kids, and to shoot responding officers.

When a SWAT team entered the upscale home on Seabiscuit Lane following a four-hour standoff, they found the suspect, 47-year-old Doug Baker, passed out drunk in the basement. Baker was charged with making terroristic threats, false imprisonment, felony obstruction of justice and unspecified domestic violence offenses, a police spokesman told the AJC.

No comments: