by Jonathan Copsey / Appen Newspapers
MILTON - Two homes caught fire last Wednesday during severe storms when lightning struck. One home, on Tullgean Drive, was burnt down and an Alpharetta firefighter who responded to the fire was injured when the roof collapsed on him. He suffered first and second degree burns on his leg and was treated and released from North Fulton Regional Hospital.
Alpharetta and Milton have an agreement where their emergency units - both police and fire - will respond to both cities needs.
Another home was struck by lightning in the Oxford Lake subdivision. The roof and two rooms were damaged by the fire.
In both cases, the families were able to escape unharmed.
"It was quite a night," said Milton Fire Chief Andrew Kennedy, who noted that such a busy night is not typical. "Resources were stretched thin but with the automatic aid agreement with Alpharetta, things went pretty well."
Kennedy suggests that proper fire safety is necessary to ensure catastrophes such as these are not fatal. Working smoke detectors with fresh batteries (changed twice a year) are recommended. Further, to protect against lightning strikes, a lightning rod can be used.