An Editorial By Tim Enloe; Accessmilton.com
According to dictionary.com, the first definition of the term "rural" is as follows:
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the country, country life, or country people; rustic: rural tranquillity.
2. living in the country: the rural population.
3. of or pertaining to agriculture: rural economy.
Being one of the few left who actually lived here when the term was truly applicable, Milton being refered to as "rural" is inacurate to say the least. Is Milton different than the surrounding cities of Roswell, Alpharetta, and Johns Creek? Yes and that uniqueness is a good thing. However, putting a black three board fence around a local strip center and utilizing a borrowed horse graphic as the city's official logo doesn't make it "rural."
When one takes a look at our current population, an estimated 90% of residents live in subdivisions that have been built on former "rural" farm land over the last twenty years. The remaining 10% reside in Milton's open road neighborhoods which do harbor some "rural" asthetics.
This fact is by no means stating that those who live a certain lifestyle are better or worse than the other. Honestly, I have met good and bad on both sides of the fence.
If you still believe that Milton is indeed "rural", I have a test for you. Go to google.com; click on images and then type in "Rural" with quotes and see what come up. You aren't going to find pictures of golf courses, swim and tennis subdivisions, or strip centers. You will, however, find numerous pictures of agricultural settings, lonely country roads, and farm animals of all sorts.
Can Milton retain it's unique air offered by the open road neighborhoods? I think it can provided both our city government and it's constituency start treating these residents as the neighbors and neighborhoods that they truly are. Enough with the speeding and roadside trash; enough with the constant noise; enough with the second class treatment and double standards.
If not, expect Milton to eventually evolve into another Atlanta suburb when the economy returns. And as for the term "rural", you can flush it for good when the sewer finally arrives.