SUPPORT LIBERTY'S LAW!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Remember to remember.

Message from Mayor Joe Lockwood.

May is upon us in the City of Milton, which means three very big things: It's beautiful outside, the kids are itching to get out of school and our annual Memorial Day ceremony is just around the corner.

Let's talk first about the weather. Nice, isn't it? This is just about the perfect time of year. The pollen has subsided (mostly), the heat hasn't set in and nature's bounty has simply exploded, treating us all to the myriad colors on this land's seemingly endless palette.

And luckily, the economy has taken this time to bloom, as well. According to many of the local business owners I've met with, the freeze of the last two years or so has begun to thaw. That's good news for everyone, I'm sure.

Next let's move on to our local students ending their year of studies. Forgive me if I get a bit wistful, but this subject is one that hits close to home. My daughter, the oldest of my three children, will be graduating from Milton High School at the end of the month. That means my wife and I are counting the days we have with her before she moves on to her freshman year at the University of Alabama.

It will be quite an adjustment not having her around, not being able to tell her goodnight in person each evening. And with Milton High's talented students, I know I'm not alone in saying goodbye to a child going to a good school out of state.

That brings me to the last item on my list for this month - our third annual Memorial Day Ceremony. This year Memorial Day is Monday, May 31. Our ceremony, based on the theme "Remember to remember" kicks off at 10 a.m. and will feature a Missing Man formation flyover, songs and military demonstrations by local veterans and students, and our featured speaker, Brigadier General Maria Britt.

Britt, Commander of the Georgia Army National Guard, is the first woman brigadier general in the force's nearly 300-year history. A forceful and accomplished speaker, I'm sure her stirring words will complete this year's solemn affair. If you are a veteran, have a veteran in your family or simply respect the sacrifices of our veterans, please attend and join us. You'll be glad you took the time this year to "Remember to remember."

That's it for this month. As always, I'll close by saying your City Hall is always open to your concerns, questions and comments. Be sure to take some time this month to stop by and tell us what you think.

Sincerely,Mayor Joe Lockwood

No comments: