Follow Accessmilton.com!

SUPPORT LIBERTY'S LAW!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Milton's silent memorial.

by Jonathan Copsey / Appen Newspapers

November 19, 2010

Milton - Every year, Milton Council member Bill Lusk erects wooden crosses up and down Deerfield Parkway in Milton, each one bearing the name of a fallen soldier connected to Milton.

"Honoring veterans is one of the most important things we can do," said Lusk, a veteran himself, working in the Navy's CeeBees (Construction Battalion) in the late 1960s.

"About 6 percent of Americans serve in the military," Lusk said. "They're the ones protecting the other 94 percent of our nation. From that perspective, I think it's extremely important to pay tribute, to recognize and pay respect to those who preserve our freedom."

The hand-made crosses go up twice each year – on Memorial Day and Veterans Day – and each year their numbers grow. Currently, there are 160 named crosses.

No comments: