The following are questions we have received over the course of the past month. We have taken the time to email the City of Milton Staff. Hopefully, they will address these and future questions as time allows.
- Anderson Lee; Accessmilton.com
1. Why does Milton need it's own police department if all of the specialized functions have to be subcontracted to other departments? For example, SWAT callouts, traffic investigators, and property / evidence control.
2. Why offer Veteran North Fulton Officers & Firemen a defined benefits pension if there are no benefits on the back end? Why not offer a progressive 401K? For example, 2008; 2%, 2009, 2%, 2010 2%?
3. How do you plan on handling calls for service once your three or four beat officers are tied up with other calls? Do you have a mutual aid agreement? If so, what police actions does it cover and how much in our tax dollars does it costs?
4. With such limited personnel, what are you going to do if someone gets sick, has a family emergency, or gets hurt on the job or a litany of other reasons for not being able to work?
5. Who supervises the shift if the supervisor has to be off?
6. Who decided the city needed a director of public safety when the only othe agencies in the Metro area that have public safety directors are large agencies (such as Cobb & Dekalb Counties?)
7. If the public safety director position is deemed to be so important, why was it not opened up to a selection process? If this position is so important, why was somebody with only nine years of experience in limited police knowledge and no knowledge of fire department protocol selected?
8. Why are public safety workers not protected by the civil service?
9. Why does the city say it wanted to recruite veteran officers bu the benefits package offered does not make it financially possible for them to come and work for the City of Milton?
10. Are we so desperate for employees that we call people who have not submitted applications to come and take the physical agility test and why is the city of Milton entertaining hiring officers who have been recently fired or asked to resign?
11. Why are the majority of non elected Milton officials ex city of Alpharetta officials?
12. Why are you hiring an assistant public safety director who, as a fireman, has not fought a fire?
13. What qualifications were needed to be considered for the position of Public Safety Director?
14. What was the selection process for the Public Safety Director?
15. What plans do the Milton Police have for enforcing our current speed limits?
16. How many officers will our city have employed on a full time basis?