SUPPORT LIBERTY'S LAW!

Thursday, November 06, 2008

"Thank You!" From Wilson Borden

As the great Vince Lombardi once said, "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time."

I feel that our campaign matches Lombardi's quote.

In only 2 months of campaigning we earned the support of well over 80,000 Fulton Residents. If we had only had another couple of weeks, we would have easily surpassed the support of the incumbents. Unfortunately, we just ran out of time.

I am very proud of the campaign that we ran. Just over 2 months ago when we started this, I had never run for office and had absolutely no campaign experience. Furthermore, nobody had ever even heard of the Soil and Water Conservation District Supervisor. To land over 80,000 votes without a campaign manager, without any campaign experience, and without funds, we must have been doing something right. I owe a lot of gratitude to our network. To mobilize this kind of vote in this short amount of time is truly phenomenal.

We came with in 4% of overtaking an incumbent who has been in his seat for more than 12 years. Also, we received almost two times as many votes for this position than any challenger has EVER received. Again, this is something to be proud of.

I have learned many things in this campaign. Unfortunately, we learned as we ran and some of the lessons came too late in the campaign to be useful this time around. Naively, I figured that if the word got out about the incumbents, we'd be able to take the office. Next time, with experience, and with more time, we will be able to easily overtake the incumbents

I would like to give special thanks to Bob Meyers who provided great help in being a sounding board, Kelly Laughlin for helping out spread the word, Pam Giddings for helping with the email campaign, Nick Seidell at Integral Choice for helping with calls, Steve Beecham, Milton, Johns Creek and Sandy Springs officials, David Belle Isle, Shawn Hanley and his gang, all the guys at work for helping with the signs, my business partners for understanding and covering for me during the campaign, everyone who volunteered for signs and magnets and everyone who sent emails and talked to folks about our campaign. The list of great supporters is too long to name everyone and everyone is probably tired of reading emails from me by now anyway.

Finally, I sincerely thank my wife, Marianne, and our 4 children for their patience and for understanding when I missed dinner for the last 5 weeks straight.

The support of everyone has truly been great and I sincerely appreciate your help.

Thank you again !!

- Wilson Borden

No comments: